While traveling can seem rather complicated, knowing key information about what to do is very beneficial. If you haven’t the faintest idea what you’re doing, you can end up spending far too much and receiving far too little. You can avoid this by following these 15+ travelling advice given here.
- Use plenty of plastic when packing. Putting your clothes and toiletries and other items in clear plastic bags is always a smart way to pack when traveling. Not only does it help you organize, it also keeps your possessions safe. If the bag should be exposed to the elements on the tarmac, the contents of your bag will stay dry.
- Before booking any vacations, do some comparison shopping. Make sure you’re getting a good deal on your flight and hotel by looking at the prices of several websites. If you don’t need to leave or return from your trip on an exact day, check the price of several days in the same week. One might be cheaper. Same concept can be applied for the local taxis that you will be booking for your local journeys. Whether it is a chauffeur service that speaks volume or perhaps a normal airport taxi transfer company you have booked with. Comparing the prices of a couple of such service providing companies can help immensely.
- Pack dryer sheets into your luggage. If you have ever flown before, you might have noticed that sometimes your luggage can come back smelling just a little odd. To eliminate this problem and keep your clothes and possessions smelling fresh, use dryer sheets. Pack them in between layers of clothing.
- If you plan on going abroad, you should make sure you understand the exchange rate for the foreign currency. Bring a pocket calculator if necessary. You can exchange your money for the foreign currency at your local bank, if you plan ahead of time. Avoid using your credit card abroad, if you do not wish to be overcharged.
- Tip the bell boy and housekeeper when staying in a nice place. You don’t have to overdo it, though, just a simple dollar per bag and no more than five dollars a day for the housekeeper is adequate enough. That ensures that the people in charge of your service are happy and helpful.
- One way to collect memories of your trip is to do crayon rubbings of architectural features, historical markers or even, just interesting textures. All you need is a crayon and thin, newsprint like, paper. Tear the paper cover off the outside of the crayon. Next, hold the paper flat on the surface you are recording. To complete the rubbing, use the side of the crayon rubbing it back and forth until the image emerges.
- Before undergoing any major traveling, make sure you get plenty of rest the night before you leave. A lack of sleep can cause you to make poor decisions and causes forgetfulness. The consequences of bad choices when traveling are far more severe, than normal, so make sure you’re well rested.
- When traveling with a baby or a toddler, try not to make too strict of a schedule. A child this age follows their own schedule and you might not be able to do the things that you had planned to do. By being open about the schedule, you will get a greater satisfaction from your trip.|
- Don’t rule out indirect flights to your destination. By booking indirect flights with a stop-over you can sometimes save a lot of money. If money is more important than time, use online flight search engines to search for indirect routes as well as direct routes then chose the cheapest option.
- When traveling overseas, do not be afraid to use your cell phone if you need to make a brief call home. You may be charged a high fee, but you can avoid the stress of trying to figure out how to use phone cards. If you need to make several calls, consider using a phone service that operates over the internet.
- If you are taking a short trip, it could be in your best interest to travel in the middle of the week as opposed to the weekend. Not surprisingly many companies, mainly hotels, may charge more for their services on the weekend when they experience increased volume. If the time of week does not matter to you, choose the cheaper option.
- If you’re going on a long car trip, make sure to bring a plastic bag that can be dedicated to trash. This way you will have a place to throw all of those fast food wrappers and used tissues so they don’t end up all over the floor of your car.
- When you are traveling by cruise ship, bring a carry-on bag with you that have your swimsuit in it. Most people like to immediately check out the pool or the hot tub, but it can take a while for your suitcases to arrive in your room. A carry-on bag with a few items in it allows you to begin experiencing the fun right away.
- Use the airline miles you have accumulated to save the cost of the flights to a destination. There is really no good reason to save them if you are looking to make some travel plans, but look into the conversion of cash to airline miles. If your flight costs less than $300 you may want to go ahead and pay for them with cash.
- After getting settled in your hotel room, look for fire exits. This may seem trivial, but it can save your life. By knowing where the fire exits are – if the fire alarm goes off – you know which direction to leave. Also, try not to forget your hotel key or card in the event of a fire evacuation.
- When traveling with young children, try to book conventional rather than a traditional hotel room. Having separate sleeping quarters will help to keep your children on their schedules. It will also give Mom and Dad a place to watch television while the children nap. Everyone will enjoy their trip more since they will feel a little more at home.
Clearly, these 15+ travelling advice are something that really can be mastered. Researching, finding out information, and packing may seem like a lot of work, but it is all worthwhile in order to have a wonderful vacation. These tips will keep you well informed while traveling.